Sunday, March 29, 2015

A little intrigue

A while back, I noticed an announcement for a mystery knit-along, run by Jenny Faifel, that promised to use up sock yarn scraps to make a shawl-cowl-thing. Well. I have a pretty decent collection of sock yarn scraps. Most of them I figure I'll use to play with colourwork socks, but there are some odds and ends in there that are 100% merino, and I have since developed a rather strong preference for socks made using sock yarn that has some nylon spun in there for added toughness. So the 100% merino leftovers are just sitting with no end game in mind. This MKAL seemed a good way to use them. Plus, she was offering folks a chance to join in for free, so I took it.

Now, I've packed up all my stash yarn and moved the boxes over to the basement of the new house, but my remnant stash was still here, lurking in the linen closet. So I pulled it out, sorted through what was there, and came out with this little pile:



Um. That's way too much - the pattern calls for roughly 200 g, and that's closer to 300 or 350, I think - I couldn't manage to get it all on the scale without some of the balls running away. That's okay, though - just means I have options as I go.

So the first clue was released on 23 March. Recent days have been not so much with the knitting time, so I just plugged away a bit here and there, and last night, I finished the first clue and found this in my lap:



That bit is mostly done using some Shibui Knits Sock (the burgundy-gold-brown-cream stripes) and some Madelinetosh Tosh Sock (the beige stripes). The cream bits of the Shibui are a bit close to the beige of the MadTosh, so the stripes aren't as vivid and clear as they might have been had I used different colours.



Still, I'm pleased with the result thus far, and am anxiously awaiting the release of clue #2 - tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment