Monday, September 8, 2014

K'done: Gemini pullover

Squeak.



Pattern: Gemini, by Jane Richmond
Yarn: Claudia Hand Painted Yarns Fingering, in Last Night's Wine
Needles: 4.5 mm / US 7

Wow was this ever a close one. When all was said and done I had less than one gram of yarn remaining. Yeesh.

So, yeah. There were some modifications done here! First off, I held the yarn double, to end up with non-gauzy fabric with the thinner yarn. Second, I wanted the sleeves to be more close-fitting than they would have been as written, so I changed the increase rate for the raglan lines: instead of increasing every row once the lace portion of the yoke had been completed, I only increased every row for the front and back portions, while increasing every other row for the sleeves. Third, I shortened the body: in the end, I think I only worked about 16" from the neckline, then switched over to ribbing, and then I only worked 6 rounds of ribbing before binding off and moving on to finish up the sleeves. Fourth: I shortened the sleeves: I picked up the held stitches and knit one round, then worked 6 rounds of ribbing before binding off.



Slightly different angle.

I'm quite happy with the result, although in a perfect world I think I would have preferred to have an extra inch or so on the body - it rides up a little when I'm sitting down. I can still absolutely wear it to work - short sleeves and square neck mean that lifting my arm to, say, point upward at a projected image doesn't cause the whole garment to shift up and expose my tummy. I just can't lift both my arms.

Still, I got a complete garment, with no funny mismatched bits, and remember, less than a gram of yarn left at the end. I'm calling it a win!

Tech specs: cable cast on at neck, double chain bindoff at all bound edges. Some comments on Ravelry suggest that the cast on edge could be bolstered with some crochet, but I don't know how to do that. I didn't find the neckline overly loose with the cable cast on anyway - things seemed to stay in place well enough for the night out I took it on. Fingering yarn was held double, no alternating of skeins done, and I don't think any transition lines are obvious - did Russian joins to join new yarn on.

My original intent had been to wear it to my first real day back to work, but the temperatures plummeted to single digits, and I got another 8 AM class, and I wimped out about wearing such a tiny sweater when it would only be about 5 C outside. (I don't work outside, but I do have to walk between buildings, and the buildings tend to be on the cooler side of things when it's cold out anyway.) I did get to wear it to go out to dinner Sunday night, though, so it has been publicly debuted, without any sort of embarrassing incidents. Definitely a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment