K'done: Little Deschutes Socks

Round 5 is done done done!



Pattern: Little Deschutes, by Kirsten Hall
Yarn: Knit Picks Stroll Tonal, in Springtime
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1



Psst. You know what?

These socks have cables.



I know. Duh, right?

These socks were my slowest on the Tour - even though my finish with the Chicane socks was a closer shave in terms of meeting the deadline, that was largely due to lost knitting time. These socks did not suffer any major time losses. I was just really slow with them. Apparently, even though I cable without a cable needle, I cable slowly.

Also, I ktbl slowly. That didn't help overall speed any - there's a fair bit of ktbl in these socks. Like, all over the heel flap.

Still, even though it was sort of slow going, I thoroughly enjoyed the actual knitting - watching the cables develop and admiring all their elegant twists and turns. The charts are large, and a bit intimidating, but there's a logic to the way the cables go, so once you get into the swing of it, you can be less obsessive about consulting the chart. That being said, there's no memorizing of the chart - no real repeat - so you do have to be a chart slave for pretty well the entire sock.



The colour of the yarn is toned down in a lot of these shots, thanks to the white balance of my iPhone, but the socks are a really vivid green. Like, acid green. A big pop of different colour for my sock drawer!

Also, another item I can wear for St. Patrick's Day.

If I were to do this pattern again, I'd change out the heel flap fabric - it's done with alternating rows of twisted and plain knits, I'd replace that with slipped stitches, I think - and I'd widen the heel turn just a tiny bit, it seems a bit pointy as written.

And so, my pile of finished Tour socks grows by another pair. Only one left to go!

Comments