K'done: Plain Socks

I finished these just one day shy of a month ago. I hang my head in blogger shame. On the upside, though, I have another pair of nice socks.



Pattern: None; this is my version of a plain stockinette sock
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, in Maple Grove
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1

I hadn't knit myself a pair of plain stockinette socks in a very long time, and one fine day earlier this year - in April, I guess - I got the urge to knit stripy socks, but not by using multiple yarns to do so. I wanted to knit a self-stripy sock. This yarn looked like it might fit the bill, and so I wound it up and cast on. Truthfully, these aren't as stripy as I was hoping for, but I suspected that would be the case as I wound the yarn up, and I'm happy enough with the result.



I cast on 20 stitches using Judy's Magic Cast-On, increased my way to 64 stitches around, then cruised along straight until it was time to do the gussets. Added 11 stitches per side as gussets, then a short-row heel turn, then an eye of partridge heel flap. Then it was a straight cruise on up the leg, followed by 15 rounds of k2p2 ribbing, and Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off to finish.



Yes, there is the tiniest bit of a ladder in these shots - it'll go away once I've washed the socks, I'm not worried about it since it's barely there, and these are unblocked socks. I never block my socks before the first wear.

So there we have it - another pair for the drawer.

In the meantime, I'm still cruising along on other knits - I've got a sweater, two socks, and a cowl for my sister in various stages of completion. The cowl should be done soon, and after that I think I'm going to start on a sweater for her. I've already got the yarn wound up and ready to go.

Then again, I might go selfish and start on a shawlette for me.

We shall see.

Comments