K'done: Damson x Sewanee Shawlette

Does this make me a shawlette breeder?



Pattern: a combination of Sewanee, by Beth Bradford, and Damson, by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: The Unique Sheep Tinsel Toes, in Crush
Needles: 3.5 mm / US 4

As you can see from the above photo, which is the only one I have, it smoothed out nicely with a blocking. I did try to get a couple of modelled shots, but my photo mojo is on the fritz today, and the two attempts were both consigned to the digital abyss, meaning I deleted them. Maybe I'll try again another day.

As you can also see from the above photo, I did some hybridizing with this one, because I rather liked the lace on the Sewanee, but I had some doubts about a straight-up triangular shape - because, you see, I really like the Damson shape. So I stared at the Sewanee pattern for a bit, and figured I could change up the shaping and keep the lace.

It took a bit of finagling. First off, I changed up the cast on to start with a garter tab, since you have a garter border throughout the shawl save the final edging. In order to make the stitch counts work, I also worked eight twelve rows on the garter tab, which meant that I would then be picking up four six stitches along the side edge, giving me a total of ten twelve stitches once I'd done all the pick up and knitting. (Edited because I originally wrote this from memory, and the numbers I came up with don't match my notes in Ravelry. I'm guessing that those are accurate.) I then placed two increase points instead of one, and used paired yarnovers to do the increases. I then chugged away in garter stitch, increasing as per Damson, and once I hit 212 stitches, I switched over to the lace.

The resulting shawlette is likely shallower than the sample - I haven't measured it, but it's a size to my liking, and that's all that I really care about at the moment. The final lace edging was really fun to work, and since I don't block severely - no pins - it settled into a scalloped edge, rather than points.

I like it, but honestly? Every now and then, I look at it, and I see a row of eyes staring back at me unseeingly. A bit unsettling, perhaps.

Now. A sweater is also done, but waiting for a block, and, well, I'm behind in posting about another sweater that's been done for months now. Okay, fine, two months. I still stand by that plural. I will need better photo mojo for the sweaters though. I mean, I'm happy with this shawlette and all, but I feel no strong attachment to it. The sweaters deserve good photos.

Of course, that's what I said about my Twinings sweater, and look how it got treated.

I suppose time will tell here.

Comments