Next

There's a finished sweater drying on the Not-A-Table.

I'm binding off on a shawlette today.

There's still a wrap I've just started for my sister, plus that stockinette sock I started at the comic expo, but still I feel a void. The sweater void. I need a new sweater project.

And in light of that, I find myself all seized up with indecision.

As I was wrapping up the last sweater, I was telling myself that the next one would be the Geodesic Cardigan, by Connie Chang-Chinchio. I've been wanting to make this one for a while now, and even hauled off and bought the recommended yarn in the pattern, which I believe has previously never happened. My usual mode of operations involves looking at the pattern gauge, thinking a bit about how I would achieve that gauge, and then digging the right weight yarn out of my mini-stash, picking the colour I think I want, grabbing the right size needles for hitting the aforementioned target gauge, and then I'm off and running. I accumulate yarn in batches when online stores I peek in on are having sales, so the odds of me having the yarn suggested in the pattern on hand are pretty slim.

For the Geodesic Cardigan, though, I actually bought the recommended yarn with the pattern in mind - I was placing an Eat.Sleep.Knit order anyway, and they carry Malabrigo Yarn Lace, and in a colour I liked, and the price wasn't exorbitant, so I chucked three skeins into my virtual shopping basket and did my thing.

So I'm good to go for this to be my next sweater.

Too bad I'm wildly intimidated by it at the moment.

I've never knit with laceweight before. I want to, but it's new to me. I've wound up two of my three skeins into cakes, and the whole time, I was a bit on edge with how delicate the yarn seemed. It's a single, and in fact the strands stuck to each other a bit more than I'm accustomed to as I pulled off the skein for the cake. I work primarily with superwash yarns, especially merino, and those really don't stick much. This was way different, and I know I was pulling somewhat gingerly, because I also know that singles aren't as durable or strong as plied yarns, and because it's laceweight the single is really thin, and I was terrified that it would just pull apart if I tugged too forcefully.

I'm not terribly sure how I'm going to manage to knit with this when I'm so nervous about breaking the yarn.

I still want the sweater, though.

I suspect I'll get there. Eventually.

I still have that third skein to cake up.

Comments