K'done: Catnip Socks

Finally!



Pattern: Catnip Socks, by Wendy D. Johnson
Yarn: Tanis Fiber Arts Blue Label, in Sunset
Needles: 2.25 mm / US 1



Yup. This yarn was originally supposed to be my September SSP socks, and, well, honestly, these are them. Completed in January. Sigh. In my defence, I decided that the first crack wasn't working out to my liking, and had to start over, but that decision came in October, I think - maybe even November. Either way, well beyond when I should have been done with my September socks.

So yes, the SSP, in the end, didn't work out as I had hoped for 2011. All told, I got nine pairs of socks out of the effort - short of the intended twelve. I'm actually okay with that. Twelve was a pretty lofty goal, I think, and I sort of fell victim to a usual sort of routine - I knit socks very happily, but in September something happened and I got a wicked shawlette bug, not sure where from (though I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I had produced eight pairs of socks by that point). Now, I'm not the sort of person who limits herself to a single project at a time, but I found myself reaching for shawlettes much more often than the socks, and well. Knitting doesn't just happen if you don't touch the needles.

But back to the matter at hand.



I like this pattern a lot. The lace was a nice, memorizable eight-row repeat, with four of those rows being 'rest' rows, and no element of it made my teeth itch. You know how executing some stitch patterns sometimes wears on you, and you start really, really, really looking forward to being on the other side of the project, just so you don't have to execute that stitch again? (1x1 twisted rib is a pretty major culprit for me in this department.) I felt nothing of the sort with this pattern. It all flowed nicely, and even once I'd finished one sock, I didn't feel like I needed a break before casting on for the mate. I did ignore the second sock a bit last week, but that wasn't due to annoyance with the pattern, it was more a case of me being gently knocked down by a sweater bug, and anything that wasn't a new sweater for me was sort of offensive.

They're done now, though, and in the sock drawer, so everything's looking good.

I've also wrapped up a sweater recently, and that pretty much takes care of the knits of 2011 - minus that one sweater I started that still doesn't have a complete sleeve. I still want it, and it'll get some attention. Just later.

And yes, I have started something new for 2012 - remember, sweater bug? More on that in another post.

And this time I won't disappear for a whole month before I post again. Yeesh.

Comments