K'done: Amiga Cardigan

I'll have to get some help getting some good modeled shots. For now, iPhone pics will have to suffice.



Pattern: Amiga, by Mags Kandis
Yarn: Fleece Artist Silk Merino (a one-time special from Knitty-Noddy), in Chocolate
Needles: 5 mm / US 8

This was a fun knit, though not exactly challenging - there's no shaping aside from the raglan sleeves, and it's stockinette the whole way through. But sometimes that's just what a person needs, and that was the case for me - this saved me by being available when I was just not in the right frame of mind to work the 1x1 twisted rib needed for the June SSP socks. Which, um, still aren't done. But I have a new sweater!

The yarn I used is a sport weight, and it's 70% merino 30% silk, as opposed to the fingering weight cotton yarn called for in the pattern. So my resulting fabric is warmer and denser than what the designer intended, but I knew that going into it, and the result is just what I intended, and that's what matters in the end, isn't it?



I lengthened the sleeves to full length, mostly because I had sufficient yarn to do so. The body length is a bit cropped as written, and I think the long sleeves and cropped body are sort of cute together, given that this is a layering piece - whatever shirt I wear underneath will be peeking out at the bottom, which I like. The wide front bands are knit in one piece with the collar, which thus has a tendency to roll at the neck, since the fabric is so drapey that it just won't stand up there, but that's totally fine. All of my edges have the tiniest bit of curl to them anyway, since I don't use pins or wires to block - most of the characteristic stockinette curl came out, but a tiny bit remains. I'm okay with that.

The buttonholes ended up coming out a tiny bit large for the button size recommended in the pattern - it's super easy to pop them out. Again, because this is a layering piece, I'm not too concerned - in fact, I don't know how often I'd wear this buttoned up.



Overall, it is a cozy but light sweater, and I am happy to add it to my collection. Not sure if it's polished enough for work wear, though.

Still, a win!

And Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canadians! 144, eh?

Comments