Monday, February 28, 2011

K'done: Herringbone Rib Socks

The SSP is officially back on track!



Pattern: Herringbone Rib Socks, by Kristi Schueler
Yarn: Knit Picks Stroll Tonal, in Foliage
Needles: 2.75 mm / US 2



I initially cast on for these using 2.25 mm / US 1 needles, but the herringbone rib portion is really not that elastic, and after getting about halfway down the leg on the first sock, I started having very real concerns about whether I would end up with a sock that fit. I decided it needed to be ripped back and worked on bigger needles, which made me think that with the delay in starting these socks due to the late finish on January's socks, and with February being a short month, I was well on my way to getting off target for the Selfish Sock Project. Luckily, Reading Week in February meant a week of working from home, which meant more knitting time, since working from home really means thesis work, which goes rather well with knitting - just when I think I'm about to burst with fury at the blinking cursor on the screen, or the awkward chunk of text that refuses to be reshaped into something more elegant, I grab yarn and needles and a short while later everything's fine. Sometimes I've even come up with a solution to my thesising problem.

Anyway. I probably could have knit this as written on the larger needles, but I like to knit my socks with 5 DPNs - four holding stitches, one working. This makes having three pattern repeats on one side is a bit awkward, so I kept my previous mods that I had put in: sock worked over 64 stitches - four herringbone rib panels, flanked on each side by two purls and a twisted knit. The heel is your standard slipped-stitch heel flap, worked over 32 stitches in the round with purled gussets. That's right, no picking up for me.

If I were to do this one again - and I might, I didn't find all the passing of stitches that tedious - the one change I'd make is to twist the yarnovers when transitioning from the herringbone rib pattern to stockinette for the toe and when beginning the heel flap. Because of the herringbone rib, the eyelet isn't that obvious - certainly not worth tearing apart two socks to repair - but for future reference, I think I'd rather it weren't there at all.



I had initially planned to wear these socks tomorrow, given that tomorrow is the start of a new month, but since I'm working from home today and have time while the sun is out to take the pictures, I knew I'd be modelling them today, so figured I might as well wear them today too.

Meanwhile, the yarn for March's socks is all wound up and ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment