Wednesday, July 14, 2010

K'done: Wispy Cardi

A light layer of happy.



Pattern: Wispy Cardi, by Hannah Fettig
Yarn: Scarlet Fleece Silk & Ivory, in Professor Plum (4 skeins)
Needles: 4 mm / US 6; 3.5 mm / US 4 for ribbing and gathering at centre back

The first time I saw pictures of Hannah Fettig's Whisper Cardigan, I thought the garment was silly - it had no real front, and thus there was no way to do up the cardigan. A few months later, I had a bit of an attitude adjustment with respect to non-closing cardigans - I came to view them as valuable layering pieces for creating work-appropriate tops by combining them with a camisole or tank top, which would otherwise not be work appropriate. This attitude adjustment came, not surprisingly, shortly on the heels of the realization that I am rather lacking in work appropriate clothes. Adding a few of these layering pieces would allow me to maximize that which I already have.

Since the target was really the Whisper Cardigan, I took out the ribbing on the cuffs and hem, replacing them with stockinette. I shortened the shoulder section to better suit my shoulders, effectively removing 2.5" of width. I didn't use 2.75 mm / US 2 needles to knit the gathering at the centre back, because I don't have a circular or straights in that size. I do have plenty of 5" DPNs in that size, but I wasn't about to try juggling DPNs in a straight line for three rows of knitting.

I winged the picking up of stitches for the ribbing, and ended up starting in the wrong spot, so my end of round wasn't really in the right place, but I don't think it shows - by the time I realized, I was faced with ripping out an inch of ribbing to fix it, and was therefore much more inclined to let the error slide. Basically, four columns of ribbing in the left armpit are one stitch short each - doesn't seem catastrophic. Also, I suspect I didn't pick up the wraps on the short rows correctly, but the two fronts match each other, and it's not exactly a huge glaring error, so again I let it go and continued onward.



The yarn is really a sport weight, and not the laceweight called for in the pattern. I chose the yarn because A) I had it, and B) my work season is primarily fall and winter, and C) I live in Canada. Plus, I didn't want my sweater to be sheer and gauzy, and sport weight yarn worked at that gauge is light and drapey, but substantial enough. Now that I've done it, I'm starting to think I'd like to try it again with laceweight, just to see what it's like.



Didn't work all the sweater bug kinks out of my system, though. I've got another sweater on the needles.

I am starting to feel a bit socky too, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment