When the urge to knit a cowl hits, you just have to knit a cowl.
Pattern: Destroyed Cowl, by Martha Merzig
Yarn: J. Knits Charming, in Providence
Needles: 4 mm / US 6
I finished this a while ago, but didn't get around to blocking it until two days ago. The desire to knit a cowl came very suddenly, and very seasonally inappropriately - the temperatures were just starting to climb up to the spring-like range.
It was a very straightforward knit - it's basically just a long stretch of stockinette. I used Judy's Magic Cast On as a provisional cast on, and it worked, except somehow I ended up losing one of the stitches in the cast on, so when I went to kitchener the working end to the provisional end, I was one stitch short. Very odd, but it didn't affect the finished product any - I had a nervous flash that the dropped stitches would misalign, and the whole thing would just unravel column by column, but that didn't happen. I also dropped four stitches on each side, rather than three as the pattern suggests - this yarn is DK weight, not worsted, so I also cast on 40 stitches rather than 34. Okay, technically I cast on 80 stitches, but half of those were set aside on scrap yarn for kitchenering at the end.
As much as I like the end result, and the colours of the yarn, this is very likely going to be given away at Christmastime, because I have a sneaking suspicion that my skin won't tolerate the angora in the yarn very well. I find mohair itchy against my skin, and when I knit with it I feel like there are tons of little fibres going up my nose. I got a similar sensation while knitting with this, and I suspect it's the angora doing it. The fibrous nose sensation wasn't as strong, but I still have a feeling that I won't really like having this cowl against my neck, which means I wouldn't wear it much, which is pretty useless, so I may as well give it as a gift to someone else.
I do like it, though.