Tuesday, January 5, 2010

K'done: Francis Revisited

My first pullover.

From the back:

Photobucket

And from the front:

Photobucket

Pattern: Francis Revisited, by Beth Silverstein
Yarn: Artyarns Supermerino (Aran/Heavy Worsted) in Cappuccino
Needles: 6 mm / US 10 for the body, sleeves, and most of the cowl; 4.5 mm / US 7 for about a third of the cowl

This is a great pattern - it seemed to just fly along. I made a few changes along the way. First, I knit the sleeves flat, since I don't have DPNs in the right size, so I had to seam the sleeves once they were knit. Second, I did the sleeve increases more gradually than called for the pattern, increasing every fourth row instead of every second, so my sleeves were longer. For full length sleeves, I'd increase even more gradually - every sixth or eighth row. Third, I didn't tack the cowl in place at the back of the neck.

When I started on this one, I was really worried about ending up with a sheer sweater - the stitches seemed so big and loose! As you can tell from the pictures, though, it all worked out just fine. So I don't have to worry when I see a pattern that calls for a gauge of 13 sts over 4" with aran/heavy worsted yarn.

Oh, and I would like to make another of these sweaters. Because there's so much stockinette to it, it seems ideal for handpainted yarns, though from the gallery on Ravelry it is very nice in solids too. So much potential.

A definite win. I wore mine on Christmas Day, and got some very nice compliments.

No comments:

Post a Comment