K'done: Grace Hat

Continuing with our theme of non-gray knits for decidedly gray cold winter days.  


Pattern: Grace Lace Beret, by Elizabeth Eisenstein Yarn: Noelle's Noodles Handpainted Merino - Aran weight Needles: 3.5 mm (US 4) for ribbing, 5.5 mm (US 9) for the rest I made a few changes to this one. For starters, I switched the provisional cast on for a tubular cast on - I don't know how to do a provisional cast on, and while one might see this as a learning opportunity, when I cast on for this I was recovering from a flu, which means my energy levels were on the low side, which is not terribly conducive to learning. I was a bit dubious about whether the change in needle size would actually work out to give me a snugly stretchy ribbing band and slouchy hat, but work out it did. I believe I made a small error in the last round before cinching the top shut, but it's not glaringly obvious to me, which means I can't figure out where my flu-addled mind messed up, so I couldn't fix it - the mistake remains, hopefully hidden. The photo was taken after a light blocking - I found the hat had a pokey, pine cone like effect right off the needles. If one were to block it more severely - say, with pins, or stretched out over an object of the appropriate size and shape - the lace would open up more, and those points would be gone. Since I blocked the hat very lightly, it kept some of its crumpliness, but most of the pointiness is gone - what little remains disappears once I actually get the hat on my head. All in all, a pretty quick little knit with pleasing results - I'm pleased with the way this hat fits, which tells me that my Ice Cream Stella hat is probably too big and slouchy, so I'll try that one again with fewer pattern repeats sometime. This pattern will definitely be reknit, as little Christmas gifts. I've got to make three of them, but they're really the only Christmas knitting I've got planned for this year. That should leave plenty of time for me to work on more socks for me, more sweaters for me. Oh yes.

Comments